I found instructions to make these Christmas ornaments at Design Sponge. They are not origami in the pure sense of the concept, but the result is nice. Parents or teachers can make them very easily with children at home or in the classroom. I’d love to make them with my nieces and nephews! You can use bright color paper or recycled paper from magazines hopefully colored on both sides.
- Cut nine paper circles and fold them in half.
- Staple them together in the fold. This will form a circular-page booklet.
- Glue together the bottom third of two pages.
- Turn the page and glue the top third of the next page.
- Continue gluing pages together, alternating the application of glue up and down until the ball is formed.
Here are steps photos. Click to enlarge image.